The Centre of Membrane Proteins and Receptors (COMPARE)
A unique collaboration between the Universities of Birmingham and Nottingham. Bringing together leading researchers to develop novel methods for visualising single membrane proteins, as well as identifying new approaches for the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disease, respiratory disease and cancer angiogenesis.
Information from state-of-the-art imaging technology will enable development of a new generation of drugs with reduced side effects by virtue of targeting receptors in their unique membrane environment.
Priority areas for COMPARE
- New algorithms and mathematical models of signalling by G Protein-Coupled Receptors (GPCR) and Tyrosine Kinase-linked Receptors (TKLR).
- Development of novel fluorescent probes and methodology for studying GPCR and TKLRs.
- Development of candidate new chemically-sensitive targets and lead reagents for GPCR and TKLRs of relevance to cardiovascular, respiratory and cancer angiogenesis.
- In vivo models in cardiovascular, respiratory disease and cancer angiogenesis.
- Implementation of Team Science.
- Jubilee hotel and conference centre
- COMPARE University of Birmingham